Saturday, April 24, 2010

Vacation? nope

Just when I really wanted to do a better job with posting photos to this site I get news that leads me to believe that entries may be about the same as always... too few and too far between.

I found out a week or so ago that the pain in my foot/ankle wasn't just a sprain, pulled tendon or strained ligaments but was a HUGE as the doctor described tumor that had eaten all of the bone marrow out of my heel bone. He scheduled emergency surgery for Monday of this week that would open my heel up, scrape out all of the tumor and then replace it will ground up cadaver bone and some other stuff into a "bone paste" and fill the hole in my heel up. I will miss a bunch of work and will need stay off the foot for 6 months... yep, you read that right - SIX MONTHS!

I am torn because I am so thankful that the tumor was not cancerous, I work for a great company and I have a wife who stays home with the children so I have help around the house. I see this as a benefit, my family may be looking this from a little different direction knowing that there is the grumpy guy we call Dad that does nothing but sit in the recliner, lay on the couch and hop to the bathroom using a walker.

I thought I would post a couple of pictures that represent my view from the recliner as well as the card my middle son created for me. Take a look at the inside picture... He created a gift card that says that I can have unlimited hugs and kisses. I will treasure this card for the rest of my life.

The card from my middle son. Hand crafted from the heart.






... and the leg shots - hanging out in the recliner, foot wrapping and leg graffiti.





1 comment:

Melissa said...

Sorry Tom! So thankful that the tumor wasn't cancerous, but also, what a bummer to have to stay off your foot for six months!!

As I mentioned to Debbie on her blog, I am praying for you all.

What a nice card from your son...children are such a blessing!
Also, cool leg graffiti!

Praying for a speedy recovery, and that you won't go stir-crazy sitting in that recliner!!