Friday, September 18, 2009

Yashica Electro 35


Yashica Electro 35, originally uploaded by tabrandt.

What a fantastic camera! The first time I ran a roll of film through this camera I didn't think it worked, it was just too quiet. Then after getting the photos developed I find that it did indeed work and it was wicked sharp (to quote a friend Bob from Notraces.com)

This was Harry's camera. Harry was the grumpy old guy that lived next door. I honestly don't think he was actually grumpy, he just liked to pretend that he was grumpy. Harry and I used to talk photography on his back patio and he loved taking photos.

When Harry passed away several year ago his only remaining relative, whom I did not know, stopped by my house with Harry's camera bag and some of his photography doodads. She said that Harry had requested that his camera come to me. I can not expressed how touched I was and continue to be each and every time I look at, hold and especially when I run film thought this camera.

I will have it with me forever, much like the memories I have of Harry telling me how "he used to do it".

Rest in peace Harry - God bless your soul.

Sincerely, your friend. Tom



Listening to: Jack White - Fly Farm Blues

No comments: